Upcoming Training Workshop on Begomovirus and Development of Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP) Kit
Date: 8 - 19 Jun 2020
IMPORTANT NOTICE (COVID-19)
Due to the pandemic situation of Covid-19, the Attachment Program in Japan & Training Workshop on Begomovirus and LAMP-PCR at UPLB, Philippines will be postponed to early next year.
As things stand right now, there is no clear indication as to when the movement restrictions imposed by countries in the region affected by Covid-19 will be lifted.
Further updates to the situation will be posted here.
The emerging and re-emerging diseases caused by viruses are perhaps the most devastating ones and require immediate attention and remedies due to the manner of disease transmission, spread and distribution across wide geographical locations. Begomoviruses are remarkably the most successful group of emerging viruses (Briddon et al. 2010; Rojas & Gilbertson 2008).
This workshop will be an eye-opener not only to Asian countries but worldwide in obtaining a better understanding about the economic significance of begomoviruses and the devastating disease(s) it causes to major life-sustaining crops in the world.
With this proposed training workshop on the diagnostic of begomovirus, recipients or participants who are working as the forefronts of crop protection agencies and plant quarantine departments will gain pertinent knowledge on basic information about the virus, its importance, detection tools, manner of virus transmission and disease spread.
This workshop aims to:
- provide basic and practical understanding on Begomoviruses;
- importance of the virus;
- identity and major characteristics of the virus group;
- diagnosis of diseases of economically important crops caused by Begomoviruses;
- mode(s) or manner of virus transmission;
- identification of insect – vector, whitefly Bemisia tabaci Gen.;
- detection and identification of the virus both from infected samples and insect – vector(s) using molecular and sero-molecular assays;
- application of Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP) – PCR detection kit;
- selected strategies in managing diseases due to Begomoviruses